By Ronald A. Messier
This booklet deals a scholarly, hugely readable account of the 11th-12th century rulers of Morocco and Muslim Spain who provided a whole diversity of meanings of jihad and challenged Ibn Khaldun's paradigm for the increase and fall of regimes.
• comprises sketches of 3 precept characters (Ibn Yasin, Zaynab, and El Cid) in addition to the Koranic inscription and the plan of the Sijilmasa mosque
• contains maps displaying a variety of locations in North Africa and Southern Spain mentioned within the text
• pictures of buildings, archaeological websites, and cash which are pointed out within the narrative
• A two-section bibliography comprises either medieval Arabic resources and sleek assets
• The word list defines position names, tribes, tribal confederations, titles, and technical Islamic terms
Read Online or Download The Almoravids and the Meanings of Jihad PDF
Best African books
This ebook addresses the gendered political authority in Sierra Leone, a comparatively unknown subject, and appears on the half it performs in women's historical past, political heritage, political transformation in Africa, and international women's political management.
This examine is the 1st entire evaluation of war in Angola to hide all 3 levels of the nation's sleek historical past: the anti-colonial fight, the chilly warfare section, and the post-Cold struggle period. It additionally covers, intimately, the ultimate part of war in Angola, culminating in Jonas Savimbi's demise and the signing of the Luena Accord
Taking a look at anti-apartheid as a part of the background of current worldwide politics, this ebook presents the 1st comparative research of alternative sections of the transnational anti-apartheid flow. the writer emphasizes the significance of a old standpoint on political cultures, social events, and worldwide civil society.
Japan-Africa family seeks to review the complicated nature of the dynamics of energy kinfolk among Japan and Africa because the Bandung convention in 1955, with an emphasis at the interval ranging from the Seventies as much as the current.
Extra resources for The Almoravids and the Meanings of Jihad